Saturday, April 18, 2015

A Bit of a Detour: Some Supernatural Silliness

As August and, consequently, Season 9 of Doctor Who is a ways away, and Season 4 of Sherlock is even further away (eight months 'til the Christmas special, guys - we can do this!), I thought I would mention one of the other shows that I enjoy. You may have heard of it; while Sherlock and Doctor Who are two of the three biggest fandoms on the Internet, now we can address the third:


Supernatural, a monstrous (heh) hit for the CW, about two attractive brothers (as with all CW shows, the attractive part is key) who also happen to hunt monsters.

Now I'll say it, I'm a little embarrassed to admit I watch this show. It's gimmicky, and there's no denying its rather obvious marketing tactic (the original tagline for the show was "Scary Just Got Sexy." Really.).

Still, I have to hand it to Eric Kripke and the show runners after him, they (mostly) managed to get beyond the pandering to actually create an intriguing storyline and, honestly, really awesome characters. I won't go into it all now (that's for another post, another day), but I've never seen another show do what this show has done. We thought Sherlock's "Empty Hearse" was meta? Watch Supernatural's "The French Mistake" or "Fan Fiction" and see just how self aware (and hilariously so) a show can be. 

Ultimately, what keeps the show going is its characters. Dean? Frikkin' love him. Castiel? Love him even more; I think he's actually my favorite, he is fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of Sam, but Bobby, Ellen, Jo, Crowley, Jodie, Charlie - you find yourself surprised at just how much you love them all.

So, what I have for you today, as part of our detour from Wholock, is a small tribute to Supernatural:

You'll know the song 'Uptown Funk' from it being played on the radio pretty much 24/7. It's a great song, very catchy, very upbeat. Well, a fellow Supernatural fan and I were discussing that song, and pretty soon we came to the conclusion that a Supernatural parody of it would actually be really fun to write. So, without further ado, here is Doomsday Funk (from the perspective of Dean, of course):

This road, that ice cold                                                    
Demon hunter, that corpse cold
This one for them dead girls,
Them bled girls, straight cut to pieces!
Drivin', stylin', livin' it up in the city
Got Chuck in from heaven
Wanna kiss myself, I'm so pretty!
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Call the FBI and a fireman
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Make a demon wanna retire, man
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Say my name, you know who I am
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Am I bad 'bout those honeys, break it down

Cas saved me, hallelujah (OOH)
Cas saved me, hallelujah (OOH)
'Cause Winchesters gon' give it to ya
'Cause Winchesters gon' give it to ya
Tuesday in the Myst'ry Spot
Don't believe me, just watch (come on!)
Stop, wait a minute
Fill my flask, put some liquor in it
Take a sip, a case maybe
Sammy, get Baby!
Ride to Harlem, Hollywood,
Listening to rock, heavy,
If we show up, we gon' show out
Smoother than a ride in the Chevy
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Call the FBI and a fireman
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Make a Leviathan retire, man
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Witch, say my name, you know who I am
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Am I bad 'bout those honeys, break it down

Cas saved me, hallelujah (OOH)
Cas saved me, hallelujah (OOH)
'Cause Winchesters gon' give it to ya
Tuesday in the Myst'ry Spot
Don't believe me, just watch (come on!)

"Before we die, let me tell you somethin'..."
Hell will funk you up, hell will funk you up
Hell will funk you up, hell will funk you up...

(sorry for the feels)
(Etc.)

I'm sure the Supernatural exec producer will be contacting me soon to write one of their episodes, or at least their new theme song! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment