Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Forward, Always


This blog has over 10,000 views! I never thought I'd be able to say that. I am forever grateful to the people who voluntarily read my babblings about Sherlock and Doctor Who, Legends of Tomorrow and Agent Carter, and just life in general. It means a lot that you enjoy my writing and that I can hopefully add something good to your day. :)

My last post was musings on where the next year would take me. Well, I've decided to take matters into my own hands - I'm moving to Atlanta.

Gutsy? Maybe. But necessary more than anything else. Things just haven't been working out the way I wanted them to - no grad school, no job in film. I had one internship as script supervisor on  a film set (insert shameless plug), which was very educational, but it wasn't long-term. And after I was twice rejected from the writers' programs for ABC/Disney, NBC, Warner Bros/CW, and CBS, I had to stop and recollect. What could I do now?

After searching around Columbus for opportunities in film, it became very clear: there were none. Or at least very few, which wouldn't be enough to get me anywhere. After having an obligatory anxiety attack, I picked myself back up and came to the only conclusion: Columbus wasn't working out. So, I needed to move.

LA would be the ideal choice, but it's a bit out of my price range. Fortunately, my aunt, who lives outside Atlanta, happened to mention that there had been a ton of job opportunities for film in the area recently. After having another freak out about what my subconscious was telling me I had to do, I calmed down and researched film in Atlanta, and it's true - Atlanta is becoming the "Hollywood of the south." I texted my aunt about it a little, she offered me a place to stay while I look for a job, and there was no reason to say no. Well, no reason except fear, which I've been learning to give a swift kick out of my life and subconscious. I have no time for it. It's only restricting the potential for what I can be, and I'm glad that I'm at a point where I can say that.

Am I scared? Oh, yes. Do I let that stop me? No. Fear is an obstacle to overcome, and I'm learning to overcome it. I'm afraid of driving, I'm afraid of being in new places, I'm afraid of not knowing what's going to happen next. That's no excuse not to live my life, and I'm going to live it, fear be damned.

While I'm looking for a job, I will still be writing reviews for Sherlock, Doctor Who, Pure Genius, and the new Netflix series  A Series of Unfortunate Events on The Tracking Board, so you can keep up with my writing there, if you'd like. I'm also hoping to have my actual screenwriting featured on the web series A Billion To One, which I've been writing for for a while, so I'll keep you updated on that.

Who knows where this will take me. I'm moving, and I'm also moving forward - thanks for being there with me for it. As the Doctor says, we're all stories in the end - I hope mine can be a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment